Arizona Truck Accident Attorneys
Seeking Justice for Victims of Commercial Vehicle Collisions
Few motor vehicle accidents are as severe and life-altering as those involving semi-trucks, 18-wheelers, and other large commercial vehicles. All too often, these accidents lead to catastrophic injuries and deaths—and such collisions are far more common than many people realize.
According to the Arizona Department of Transportation (DOT), there were 14,225 large truck and bus accidents statewide in 2021 (the latest year for which data are available), comprising just over 6% of all traffic accidents for the year. Of these collisions, 119 were fatal and another 3,317 led to bodily injury.
If you or someone you love was involved in a large truck accident in Arizona, turn to the team at Miller Kory Rowe LLP. We have extensive experience handling complex commercial vehicle accident claims and have the necessary resources to take on powerful trucking companies and their insurance providers. Our attorneys are not afraid of a fight; we prepare every case as though it will go to trial, and we are always prepared to represent our clients’ best interests in the courtroom. As your legal team, we will do whatever it takes to protect you and your recovery.
Learn more, including how our Arizona truck accident lawyers can help you seek fair compensation for your injuries and related damages, by calling (602) 461-8640or by contacting us online.
How Do Large Truck Accidents Occur?
Although they receive extensive training, truck drivers are just like any other motorist on the road. As such, they are susceptible to the same distractions, the same mistakes, and the same types of negligence that cause many other types of auto accidents.
However, the trucking industry is also subject to numerous federal and state regulations. In addition to truck driver errors, many large truck accidents are the result of legal violations and failures to uphold industry standards.
Some of the primary causes of semi-truck, 18-wheeler, and other large truck accidents include:
- Truck Driver Negligence:Many truck accidents are associated with negligent and wrongful conduct by the drivers of these vehicles. Common forms of truck driver negligence include distracted driving, speeding, driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs, failure to yield the right of way, failure to obey traffic signals and stop signs, unsafe or illegal driving maneuvers, driving too fast for current conditions, and other traffic violations.
- Hours-of-Service Violations: Federal and state laws regulate the number of hours truck drivers may operate their vehicles, as well as the number and duration of breaks they must take. When truck drivers violate these laws, whether due to negligence or pressure from trucking companies to meet strict delivery schedules or quotas, they are at risk of driving while fatigued. Drowsy driving has been proven to be nearly as dangerous as drunk driving, and serious accidents are likely to result.
- Improperly Loaded and Overloaded Cargo/Freight: Cargo must be loaded properly to avoid shifting or falling during transit. Additionally, federal and state laws regulate the overall amount of weight large trucks can carry. When freight is improperly loaded, or when trucks carry excessive weight, it can lead to a variety of problems, such as drivers losing control of their vehicles, cargo falling from the truck into the roadway, and more.
- Poor Vehicle Maintenance: Large trucks carry heavy loads for hundreds or even thousands of miles. As such, they must be regularly inspected for excess wear and tear, as well as issues that could potentially lead to accidents. Truck drivers are often responsible for routine truck inspections and maintenance, though this may also fall to trucking companies, companies that own or lease large trucks, and other entities. In any case, failure to conduct routine truck maintenance can lead to serious accidents—and the responsible party can be held liable.
- Trucking Company Negligence: Trucking company negligence is a common indirect cause of large truck accidents. Examples of trucking company negligence include failing to provide drivers with adequate training, failing to conduct background checks on new truck drivers, and failing to adequately supervise or discipline truck drivers that violate the law and/or company policy. Other forms of trucking company negligence include pressuring truck drivers to meet unrealistic quotas or deadlines, looking the other way on hours-of-service violations, allowing drivers to forge logs, and failing to conduct proper vehicle maintenance, inspections, or repairs.
- Defective Trucks: Sometimes, truck accidents result not from the negligence of the truck driver or the trucking company but due to the failure of a manufacturer to prevent defects. Such defects can be extremely dangerous and may lead to critical accidents. Common truck defects include defective truck or trailer design, defective tires that blow out while the truck is in motion, faulty steering or braking systems, missing reflective strips or warning signs for other motorists, and defective engine components.
At Miller Kory Rowe LLP, we utilize our extensive resources—including access to top trucking industry experts and renowned accident reconstructionists—to determine the true cause of an accident. From there, our attorneys can develop powerful, persuasive cases against liable parties based on the available evidence. Our thorough approach to case preparation and aggressive negotiation tactics have allowed us to recover many sizeable settlements and verdicts for our clients.
Who Is Liable for a Truck Accident?
Generally speaking, the issue of liability is much more complicated in truck accident cases than in standard auto accident claims. This is because there are many parties involved, including the truck driver, the trucking company, the truck manufacturer, and others, all of whom may share some responsibility for the crash.
That being said, truck accident cases are similar to other motor vehicle accident cases in that the person or party responsible for the accident is usually also the one responsible for your damages. Thus, determining how the accident occurred is a crucial element of your case.
We help catastrophic injury victims, as well as the surviving families of those wrongfully killed in tragic truck accidents statewide. No matter how complex your particular situation may be, you can trust our team to fight for you.
Types of Damages Available in Truck Accident Cases
After a truck accident, victims or their surviving family members are entitled to take legal action and seek compensation for their damages. The term “damages” refers to the economic and non-economic losses an individual or entity suffers as a result of someone else’s negligent or wrongful conduct.
In many truck accident cases, plaintiffs can seek compensation for the following types of damages:
- Past, current, and future medical expenses
- Past, current, and future lost income/wages
- Past, current, and future pain and suffering
- Lost or diminished earning capacity
- Lost or diminished enjoyment/quality of life
- Disfigurement and inconvenience
- Miscellaneous out-of-pocket expenses related to the accident
Every case is different; our Arizona truck accident lawyers can review the details of your claim and determine which types of damages you may be entitled to receive.
Request a Complimentary Consultation with Our Team Today
It can be extremely difficult to know what to do after a truck accident, but one of the best things you can do to protect yourself and your recovery is to contact an experienced attorney at Miller Kory Rowe LLP. These are challenging claims, and having an attorney by your side can make all the difference in the outcome of your case.
When you reach out to our firm, we immediately connect you with one of our knowledgeable and experienced paralegals. After a brief interview, you will be set up with an attorney for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation. During this consultation, you will have the opportunity to ask any questions you may have and receive information specific to your situation. Your attorney will also gather information from you regarding the accident, your injuries, and how your life has been affected. Then, they can advise you on how to proceed and how we may be able to help.
If your injuries prevent you from traveling to our office, we are happy to meet you at home, in the hospital, or anywhere else that is convenient for you. We offer completely free consultations and do not collect any legal fees unless/until we recover compensation for you.
Give us a call at (602) 461-8640 or reach us online using our secure contact form.
Awards & Recognition
real client TESTIMONIALS
You won’t find a better law firm!
“You won’t find a better law firm! I have known Kory for more than 20 years and his dedication and work ethic are second to none.”
Dedicated Advocate for His Clients
“He is an excellent lawyer and a dedicated advocate for his clients. He has the highest degree of fairness and integrity towards clients, colleagues, and opposing counsel.”
It is a very prestigious office
“It is a very prestigious office not only for the quality of the work but for the humility of each one of its attorneys, that their passion is to serve every one of their clients as a family member. The office in general does everything that is in their hands to assist in the best way possible every single individual that comes in through the doors of Miller Kory Rowe LLP.”
Highly recommended from their peers
“I was referred to Miller Kory Rowe LLP after the sudden loss of my Mom. It says a lot when you are refereed to a different Lawyer because they are so highly recommended from their peers. It was great comfort to have Gabe and his Team of spectacular people with support and going to extra mile for my Brother and I in such a stressful time in our lives. No matter what complications that happen with our case they did an amazing job. The case settled out of court in our favor which meant the World to me vs. the pain of a trial.”
Handled with Professionalism, Pride and Respect
“We researched a few law offices that would handled a delicate case in behalf of our beloved mother. From our initial meeting to the final, the experience was handled with professionalism, pride and respectful. We couldn’t have gone to a better law firm to handle our case. I highly recommend this law firm for any of your love ones with a wrongful death. We can now bring closure to the care center in this case, however, closure in loosing my mother in such matter will take time for healing. Thanks to Jeff, Gab, Lorraine, Lupe, and the rest of the staff for caring.”
why choose us?
Decades of ExperienceAt Miller Kory Rowe LLP, our attorneys have more than 60 years of combined experience helping individuals injured by the negligence of others. We are dedicated to getting our clients the settlements they deserve to help them restore their livelihood and peace of mind.
Dedicated Trial AttorneysWith every case we pursue, our trial attorneys have three foundational beliefs: Dedicated. Aggressive. Principled.
Extensive ResourcesWhen you work with our law firm we put all of our extensive resources into finding evidence, interviewing witnesses, and navigating through the complexities and challenges that each claim presents.
DO I HAVE A CASE?
TALK TO OUR ATTORNEYS NOW