US 93 is a popular but dangerous road, and is responsible for numerous fatal car accidents each year. So dangerous, in fact, that it was named the most dangerous highway in the country by the consumer website Value Penguin. In particular, the most dangerous stretch of this road was between Wickenburg and the Hoover Dam, most notably the portion in Mohave County.
The site looked at federal crash data to determine which road in the country was the most dangerous. Sadly, between 2010 and 2016 more than 90 fatalities occurred on this road between Phoenix and Las Vegas. Compounding the problem is that it is one of the worst highways for emergency medical service times. In fact, injured accident victims on U.S. 93 wait an average of 21 minutes for help to arrive.
Preventing an Accident on U.S. 93
According to the Arizona Department of Transportation, 94% of all crashes on U.S. 93 are caused by driver behavior. As such, if you’re driving U.S. 93 this year, it is important to understand the role you, as a driver, play in your safety. While you can’t prevent every accident from occurring, there are some steps you can take to reduce the risk of getting into a serious and fatal car accident.
- Don’t drink and drive – you may have come from a fun night in Las Vegas, but driving after you’ve been drinking is never a good idea. In fact, it is illegal. Drunk driving claims the lives of over 10,000 people every single year. It is important to remember that even buzzed driving is drunk driving.
- Don’t text and drive – it is important to keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel at all times. Avoid the temptation to check your phone while driving. If you simply can’t avoid this temptation, place your phone in the trunk or glove compartment whenever you hit the road. Remember, distracted driving kills.
- Keep your car maintained – money may be tight, but cutting corners on car maintenance can be deadly. Don’t drive on worn out brake pads or balding tires and routinely check your oil and fluids to be sure your engine is working properly. One easy change that can actually have a significant impact on your safety is to change your windshield wiper blades! When inclement weather strikes, you’ll be one step ahead and able to avoid disastrous situations a little easier.
- Obey all road signs – speeding is one of the main causes of fatal car accidents and it is responsible for at least 10,000 deaths each and every year and accounts for more than 27% of all traffic fatalities, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Wear your seatbelt – in Arizona, 88% of all vehicle occupants wear their seatbelts. Unfortunately, 48% of all fatal car accidents occur to drivers and passengers who were not restrained at the time of the crash. Wearing your seatbelt can save your life.
Contact Our Phoenix Car Accident Lawyers Today
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident in Phoenix, Scottsdale, or anywhere in the state of Arizona, you need an experienced Phoenix car accident lawyer in your corner from the very moment you are injured. At Miller Kory Rowe LLP, our Phoenix car accident lawyers are ready to fight for you and your family during this difficult time. We can help you collect the money you need to pay for your medical expenses, lost wages, and more. Contact us today at (602) 737-0342 for a free initial consultation and review of your case. We are ready to fight for you!